Discover the best flooring for a house
Keys to choosing the best flooring for a house
The arrival of good weather is an ideal time to give a new look to the house and, in this sense, changing the flooring is a fundamental decision to achieve a completely renewed appearance. But, how to choose the best floor for each space and for each specific case? Here we give you different keys that will be very useful to make sure you get it right by installing the best floor for a house.
Choosing the perfect flooring requires thinking beyond aesthetics and price. Criteria such as installation, maintenance and durability are of utmost importance. Therefore, the material, finishes, tones and different formats must be taken into account.
Ceramic floors are an excellent choice because of their resistance, variety of shades and finishes and easy cleaning and maintenance
✎ Types of flooring for your home
Currently, there are different types of flooring for modern houses on the market, such as, for example:
- Laminate flooring, which is not very resistant to moisture.
- Parquet floors, whose cost is usually high, in addition to being sensitive to moisture and sun (so they are not suitable for places with a lot of traffic).
- Vinyl or PVC flooring, which has the disadvantage of being a plastic material and therefore not biodegradable.
- Porcelain floors, suitable for any type of renovation.
- Ceramic tile floors, which are easy to clean and maintain.
- Natural stone floors, whose installation is usually complex as it is a heavy material and whose maintenance may require a sealer.
- Polished cement floors, which can be slippery when wet.
- Wooden floors: with a higher price than other materials, they require periodic maintenance. In addition, due to their high absorbency, they are more delicate and do not resist temperature changes well.
Porcelain tile, the best floor for a house
As far as the material is concerned, porcelain flooring is always a safe bet.
But what exactly is porcelain tile? Porcelain tile is a ceramic material with very low water absorption (less than 0.5%), which gives it the property of being resistant to frost, making it the most recommended material for outdoor installation. In addition, it has characteristics of hardness and resistance that make it superior to other types of products.
✎ Main advantages of porcelain tile
- It is a very resistant type of flooring.
- It requires no maintenance and is very easy to clean (simply with water and/or common detergents).
- It is a highly durable material. Moreover, properly installed, it can last for years and years and remain as the first day, withstanding stains, discolorations, scratches, etc.
- Due to its resistance, porcelain stoneware is a material recommended for areas subject to wear and tear and for cold climates. In addition, it can be installed both indoors and outdoors.
- Due to its density, low porosity and impermeability, porcelain flooring is less prone to absorb moisture or stains.
- Porcelain tile can also be used as a wall covering, it is fireproof, anti-allergenic and hygienic and has electrical insulation properties.
- Porcelain flooring comes in an infinite number of designs and formats to adapt to the needs of each interior design project.
These are just some of the advantages of choosing porcelain tile to renovate the floors of your home. If you want more information on why you should choose it, clickhere
And where can porcelain tile be placed?
Porcelain tile, due to its technical characteristics, is the most versatile type of material, so it can be installed on walls and floors, indoors and outdoors, always following the appropriate installation guidelines.
Can porcelain tile be installed over a radiant floor?
Ceramic tile floors are ideal for use with radiant floor heating. Their thermal mass and high conductivity result in a floor that provides radiant heat quickly and they also retain heat well, making the system highly reactive and efficient.
The choice of ceramic floor with underfloor heating provides rooms with soft and even heating, so that the ceramic floor is transformed into a cozy and comfortable surface.
The radiant heat of in-floor heating does not dry out the air like many conventional systems and will not move dust around that can promote allergic reactions.
Once the flooring material has been selected, the characteristics of the place where it is going to be installed must be taken into account: whether it is indoors or outdoors (terrace, patio...), if there is a lot or little traffic, if there is direct contact with humidity or dust, if there is a possibility of temperature changes...
In renovation projects for residential use it is increasingly common to choose the same design for the entire house, but we can also adapt the flooring to each room and thus enjoy a more personalized result, both decorative and functional.
Porcelain flooring is perfect for the bathroom, because its technical characteristics help to prevent possible slips and falls. For this room, as for the rest of the interiors, it is not advisable to use an anti-slip product (class 3), since they are usually materials with a specific texture that can make regular maintenance and cleaning difficult.
Porcelain floors for kitchens
The kitchen is also a space with a certain degree of humidity, but it is not advisable to opt for non-slip flooring, since in this case grease and stains tend to adhere more easily.
A good alternative could be a porcelain imitation wood, since, in addition to its simple maintenance and easy cleaning, this finish will bring a plus of warmth to a space that, especially in recent times, has become a place of meeting and enjoyment for the whole family. In addition, there are other effects that simulate natural materials, such as marble or stone, which will substantially improve the aesthetics of your kitchen.
Porcelain tile flooring for living rooms and other spaces
Porcelain stoneware is perfect for bathrooms and kitchens, but of course it is also perfect for covering the floors of living rooms and bedrooms, as it guarantees total thermal comfort, is odorless, does not emit toxic or harmful substances for health, is hygienic and always looks as good as new.
When choosing outdoor flooring, the following parameters should be taken into account:
- As for the product, porcelain tile should always be selected because of its low water absorption. In addition, it must have adequate slip resistance.
- Thin-bed placement with appropriate bonding material.
- It is very important to use expansion joints and suitable grouting material, preferably with high waterproofing properties.
- It must be taken into account that the slopes are adequate for water evacuation.
For more information about the best outdoor flooring for terraces click here and discover the latest anti-slip porcelain tile designs
Color trends for home flooring
With respect to the colors to decide the best flooring for the reform of your house, there are possibilities for all tastes, although, as a general rule, if you are looking for a greater amplitude the most advisable will be to opt for soft and light tones.
As there are so many options, we recommend you to take a look at this post on the best color trends for interior decoration in 2021.
We also recommend that you watch this video with different ideas to decorate your home following the trend of warm minimalism.